Morristown Memorial presents annual Cardiovascular Health Fair
To celebrate February as National Heart Month, the Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute, located on the Morristown Memorial Hospital campus, will host its annual Cardiovascular Health Fair, scheduled from 8:30am to 1:00pm on Saturday, February 12, at Morristown Memorial Hospital, 100 Madison Avenue, Morristown. Space is limited, and registration is required. Register by calling (800) 247-9580 or visit www.atlantichealth.org.
Cardiovascular disease is one of the top causes of death among American men and women, but also has proven to be a preventable condition. Lifestyle factors such as a diet high in fat and sodium, lack of exercise, elevated stress levels and smoking put us at high risk for cardiovascular disease. Join the Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute’s cardiac and vascular experts to learn how to reduce these factors and also about the latest in diagnosis, treatment and technologies to improve the health of your heart.
The schedule of events at the fair will include:
- 8:30 to 9:00am – Free Heart Healthy Breakfast, in the cafeteria, Morristown Memorial Hospital, B level
- 9:00 to 10:00am – Steve Xydas, MD, Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute, will be the keynote speaker, offering a lecture on recent advances in aortic surgery, in the Malcolm Forbes Amphitheater.
- 10:00 to 1:00.pm – Free cholesterol, glucose and blood pressure screening, in Gagnon’s Wilf conference room. These screenings are free for the first 100 people who register and attend the lecture. Pre-Registration required.
- 10:00 to 1:00pm – Free carotid artery screening, in the non-invasive services suite. Participants must be more than 50 years old and have not had carotid dopplers within the past 12 months. Pre-Registration required.
- 10:00 to 1:00pm – A Walk In the Heart: A giant model of the heart for visitors to walk through and learn from medical professionals about the working of this fantastic organ.
- Heart healthy cooking demonstrations, raffles and giveaways throughout the day
Special break-out sessions and integrative medicine demonstrations during the day will include:
- “Changing to a Flexitarian Diet,” offered by Morristown Memorial dietician Mary Finckenor
- “Importance of Support Groups for Heart Survivors and their Family,” presented by the Mended Hearts program at Morristown Memorial.
WHEN: Saturday, February 12; 8:30am to 1:00pm; Screenings, 10:00am to 1:00pm
WHERE: Malcolm Forbes Amphitheatre and Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute, at Morristown Memorial Hospital, 100 Madison Avenue, Morristown, NJ