Morristown Patch: We Like Being Used
Here are 10 ways to do it.
Morristown Patch has been around for about two-and-a-half years (Aug. 17, 2010, yow and kapow!). But some people are just catching on. If you've been with us from the start, thank you. If you're new, welcome! To those newbies, here are a few things about Morristown Patch you'll want to keep in mind.
- Ask a Question: So maybe you want to know when that pothole is going to get fixed, or maybe you're curious about when a restaurant is opening (or, why your favorite restaurant just closed). You are always welcome to give us a call or send an email. The number is 973-380-3206, and the email is email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comment on an Article: We subscribe to the idea that "news is a conversation." Much of our reporting will emanate from what readers tell us in emails, comments on our sites and in conversations around town. Share your thoughts and reactions to our articles by posting a comment directly below each story. Keep in mind, though, commenting is not a free for all. While we try to keep it as open as possible, if you're rude, vulgar, making accusations that cannot be backed up with facts or just otherwise not aboveboard, your comment will be deleted. Keep it clean, people!
- Send a News Tip: At the bottom of the homepage, there's a link that says, "Send Us News Tips." Tell us about stories we should cover. Your tip will be sent straight to John Dunphy, Morristown Patch's editor. This bears repeating: Send your news tips straight to John Dunphy. As said in No. 2, if something is said in comments that is potentially libelous and cannot be backed up with factual info, it's going to get deleted. We don't care if you call us names or accuse us of not going after a story you think we should go after. But, making unsubstantiated claims in the public sphere is unacceptable. If there is something you think we need to investigate, contact us.
- Contribute Your Pics & Clips: Since Morristown Patch is just as much your site as it is ours, we want you to directly contribute as often as possible. This is just one way to do that. Upload your awesome shots to the site. It's easy!
- Post an Announcement: Births, engagements and wedding announcements? We know you want to share them with the world. Tell us who made the honor roll or share school awards, social notes and thank you shout outs. If you're looking for volunteers or searching for your lost dog, we welcome you to call on your community for help.
- Post an Event: Do you know of a new exhibit at The Morristown & Morris Township Library, a celebrity appearing at a local business or a free event organized in the neighborhood? Is there a garage sale coming up? An open house? If it's not on our Patch calendar, it should be. Feel free to add events to our site here.
- Share Your Voice: Got something to say about life in Morristown or news to spread? Need a forum for your community group? Just eager to share your views? Click here to learn how to become a Morristown Patch blogger.
- Claim Your Listing: This one is business-specific. Hey, Morristown businesses, did you know you're already listed in our comprehensive directory? If you "claim" your listing, you will have access to the listing and be able to modify it as needed for things like hours of operation, goods sold and more. Click here to learn how.
- You 'Like' Us, You Really, Really 'Like' Us: At least, we hope you do on Facebook. Make sure to "Like" our Facebook page by clicking here. Likewise (catch the pun?), you can follow us on Twitter by clicking here.
- Subscribe! Do you want to know what's going on in Morristown quickly, sometimes as soon as it's posted? Then subscribe to our newsletters. You will get an email every morning choc-o-bloc with what we posted from the day before. And, if that was not enough, you will receive "breaking news" alerts on what's happening right now. It's easy! Just go to the top of this post, input your email address and we'll do the rest!