Performances of The Nutcracker, Winter Sports This Weekend
There will also be a few more holiday events this weekend as Christmas approaches.
Last week, Dance Innovations brought a unique version of The Nutcracker to Morristown High School, which included dance styles as vastly different as ballet, jazz and hip-hop. This week, the New Jersey Ballet will do the exact opposite, bringing instead the traditional version of The Nutcracker to the Community Theatre for a 10-show run that begins on Friday night. Be sure to check out Morristown Patch on Monday, Dec. 20, for our review.
This also happens to be the New Jersey Ballet's 40th anniversary performance of the show and the first time they've brought it to the Community Theatre, although they have performed there before for other productions.
"Our production has stayed the same. It's based on the original Russian one … this is a traditional Nutcracker," said Nancy Hartmann, marketing director for the ballet. "We have an outstanding professional company that's been trained all over the world, although a number are from the United States."
And many, of course, are also from New Jersey. The first chance to see the show is Friday night at 7:30 p.m. There will be two performances on Saturday and two more on Sunday, at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. both days. See the Community Theatre's website for a complete schedule.
More events in Morristown this weekend:
Friday, Dec. 17
- Morristown High School sports are back for the winter season, and this weekend there are plenty of chances to see your favorite team. On Friday, the varsity boys hockey team will face Morris Hills at Mennan Ice Arena at 5:45 p.m. The girls varsity basketball squad will travel to Mendam for a 7 p.m. game while the boys varsity basketball team will host Mendham at Morristown High School, also at 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 18
- Marty's Reliable Cycle of Morristown's Saturday Morning Road Ride begins at 8 a.m. at the store.
- Meet at The Running Company at 9 a.m. for their weekly all-abilities run.
- If you signed up for Morristown's Got Talent by the Dec. 1 cutoff, make sure to attend auditions this weekend. They run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday at Morristown High School.
- Back before department stores and clothing wholesalers people used to make their own winter wear. Learn how at the Wick House at Jockey Hollow this Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Listen to some Mozart, some Saint-Saëns and join in for some sing-alongs from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at St. Peter's Episcopal Church for their Festive Christmas Concert.
- Singer/songwriter David Jacobsen will be performing at Greenberry's Coffee & Tea from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. He has played there a few times before.
Sunday, Dec. 19