Invite a friend
Medicinal Plants of The Civil War Exhibit and Cell Phone Tour
This exhibit and it's accompanying cell phone tour describes the medicinal use of plants in field hospitals, home surgeries and on the battlefield during the Civil War. Since that time the pharmaceutical industry began to grow aand chemical synthetics replaced garden grown plants. Historically, the field of medicine had been allied with the discipline of botany and there is now a resurgence of interest in plants as medicine and is now part of medical school curriculum.
More About Frelinghuysen Arboretum
Frelinghuysen Arboretum is a 127-acre collection of trees and shrubs cultivated and labeled for educational and scientific purposes. The area offers beautiful views and is surrounded by woodlands, meadows, gardens and distinctive collections of trees and shrubs. The Frelinghuysen Arboretum is also a center for horticultural activities, including educational programs, special tours, group tours and special events. The area is ideal for hikes, as well as commercial filming, photography, summer camp programs, wedding ceremonies and tented events.
Other events here
- Who Loved This Place? Daily, 9:00 am–4:00 pm
- Weekend Photo Scavenger Hunt June 1, 2013 / June 2, 2013 / June 8, 2013 / June 9, 2013 / June 15, 2013 / June 16, 2013 / June 22, 2013 / June 23, 2013 / June 29, 2013 / June 30, 2013, 9:00 am–3:30 pm
- Garden Tours June 2, 2013 / July 7, 2013 / August 4, 2013 / September 1, 2013 / October 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
- Peonies and Pop Up Shops Sun, Jun 9, 12:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Grow, Cook, Eat - Beans, Beans and More Beans Wed, Jun 19, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Will the Zucchini Never End? Cooking Demonstration Sun, Jun 23, 1:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Contain Your Enthusiasm Container Design Contest July 13, 2013 / July 14, 2013, 9:00 am–4:30 pm