There is a lot for sale out there. Once upon a time, if you were looking for deals, you likely had to go to a flea market or thrift store, sifting through piles of stuff you don't care about until finally, finally, you struck gold. Or, you struck out.
The Internet and, one of its offspring, Craigslist (), changed the way the game was played. Now, flea markets and thrift stores are putting their wares online. So are a lot of other people. And, a lot of them are located right here in Morristown.
Welcome to our new Thursday installment on "5 Things You Need to Know Today," where we will take a look some of the most interesting items we've come across on Craigslist. Special thanks to Morris Township-Morris Plains Patch Editor Kathy Shaskan, who came up with the idea first.
- You Need to Know About 22-inch Spinners: Fancy yourself a baller? Have a spare $3,000? Then get in touch with this Craigslist seller, who is selling their set of 22-inch spinners (you know, those extremely distracting hubcaps that, well, spin) with the tires included. This item has been for sale on Craigslist since March 21.
- You Need to Know About Gatorade Hats: Are you, like, the biggest Gatorade fan in the world? Are you mad for electrolytes? Do you wake up to a chilled glass of Lemon Lime fuel instead of a piping hot cup of java every morning? Then this listed item, up since March 8, may be for you. A Morristown seller currently is selling a bulk package of 90 adjustable Gatorade-branded hats for $100. Wear a new one every day for the next 90 days! Or, you know, resell them on eBay like this seller is suggesting.
- You Need to Know About $20,000 Leather Saddle Bags: To be fair, it's actually priced at $19,999, but this bag still costs more than some cars. And, not even those bare-bones ones that still have crank windows (which, actually, is better when you think about it. Because, if the electronics system on your windows goes bad, you're kind of out of luck). We're talking about fully-loaded Nissan Sentras. The seller notes the bag is World War I era (circa 1918) and in need of a cleaning, but would leave that up to the buyer. More photos of the item also are available. This item has been on sale since Feb. 18.
- You Need to Know About 'Noble Effort' Glasses: Priced at $3,000, these hand-blown objects are being sold at the at a price lower than what could be asked for, according to the seller. A cursory glance on the Internet revealed "Noble Effort" to have been the work of Ro Purser and Richard Marquis, kind of a glass-making "supergroup" from the 80s (around the same time the music "supergroup" Asia was formed. Coincidence?). These items are offered "pick-up" only and have been for sale on Craigslist since Feb. 18.
- You Need to Know About 'Minaj-Like Wigs:' We here at Morristown Patch pride ourselves on being just inches outside of the bubble of what is cool and trendy. To that end, we're pretty sure we have heard of Nicki Minaj, we know she's a performer of some type, and we know (at least now we do) she likes wigs. Either that, or her fans like wigs that may resemble Nicki Minaj? And, these wigs can be yours (yes, yours!) for the Craigslist price of $29. Offered at , 88 Speedwell Ave., this ad invites buyers to "let your fantasy become your reality when you pamper yourself with a new party wig." This has been listed since Feb. 14.