Welcome to the last day of 2012 (if you're reading this on Monday) and the first week of 2013 (if you're reading this on a day that is not Monday).
- First Night 2013: The week starts off big on Monday with First Night Morris, now in its 21st year. Festivities begin at about 7 p.m. and run through the evening, all the way to midnight and the second of two fireworks displays. Click here for all you need to know about First Night 2013.
- Hockey Benefit: Would you like to start 2013 off on the ice? Or, at least watching others on the ice? Then, head to Mennen Arena at 6 p.m. Tuesday for the third-annual Morristown High School alumni hockey benefit event. It's free!
- Governmental Housecleaning: Once everyone has recovered from their New Year's festivities, we must remember that there will be some governmental housekeeping on tap this week. While Morristown Town Council will not have its reorganization meeting until next week (since they had no local elections this year, it will be held just prior to their next regular meeting on Jan. 8), the Morristown Planning Board is scheduled to have its reorganization meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday; in Morris Township, which did have local elections for committee, their reorg meeting is set for 7 p.m. on Wednesday; there are no meetings scheduled this week for Morris Plains.
- Here's One Way to Start on Those Resolutions: Was "lose weight" or some variation on that theme on the list? Then, head to 14 Maple Ave. at noon Thursday for Bike and Walk Morristown's one mile walk around town.
- But, if Your Resolution Was 'Get More Culture:' Then, head to Morristown United Methodist Church instead for a free concert featuring clarinetist Maksim Shtrykov and pianist Alina Kiryayeva.