Community Comes Together to Change the World
Church Invites All to 3rd Annual Event in Rockaway
April 2012 – Rockaway, NJ – The United Methodist Church of the Rockaways invites neighbors, friends, families, scouts, community groups, churches and businesses to Change the World on Sat., May 5 from 9:00 am. – 3:00 p.m. This third annual community-wide service event offers many opportunities to help people in need in Morris County as well as Camden, NJ.
Activities and charities are designed to appeal to all ages and all interests, including a chili cook-off, brownie bake-off, clothing drive, food drive, toy drive, and pet food drive. New events this year include Jerseys for Jersey, a drive to collect new and gently used sports jerseys for children in need in Camden.
A Blood Drive, Hoop Shooting Contest, Dance Clinic, and Free Kid’s Crafts and Snacks will be offered. Fun activities will help children learn about others and share their talents. Participating groups include scouting troops, the Rotary Club of Rockaway, Fulton Community Bank, Denville Dance Arts Center, Denville PAL Football, and local businesses and restaurants.
“All are welcome to contribute their time, talent and resources. It just takes one person to make a difference, and together we can change the world,” said Rev. C. Jean McMullan, pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Rockaways. “This event does more than transform the lives of people in need. It transforms our community by giving people a chance to work side-by-side to make positive things happen.”
At our 2011 event, dozens of volunteers collected and distributed 150+ boxes of clothing, donated 25 boxes of pet supplies, and raised money for the local food pantry. Change the World was named one of the community’s top 10 events of 2010 by Denville Rockaway This Week.
Volunteers and donors are needed throughout the day. Individuals and community groups are encouraged to plan now for the following opportunities:
- Chili Cook-Off: Support local food pantries and enjoy great chili, all at the same time. Vote for your favorite. Do you have a chili recipe that's a winner? Register at our web site to join the cook-off!
- Brownie Bake-Off: Sample brownies and make a donation to a children’s program in Camden, NJ. If you’re a baker, register at our web site to bring your perfect batch.
- Clothing Drive: Spring is a great time to clean out your closet! Help your children give away what no longer fits while learning a valuable lesson about sharing. Gently used clothing only – no shoes, toys or household items. The very next day we will deliver clothes to those in need in Camden, NJ.
- Jerseys for Jersey: Bring a new or gently used sports jersey (maybe one you’ve outgrown) and enter our Hoop Shooting Contest. Winners will receive prizes. Donated jerseys will be distributed the next day to children in Camden.
- Come Dance with Us: Dancers from Denville Dance Arts center will show you the moves and perform some dances. Kids of all ages are welcome.
- Hotdogs for Hope: Your purchase of a hot dog, soda or bottled water will help provide school supplies and backpacks for local children.
- Food Drive: Non-perishable foods such as canned goods, pasta and cereal will be collected and distributed to families in our community.
- Pet Food Drive: To benefit Coming Home Animal Shelter.
- Toy Drive: New and gently used toys will be collected for children in Camden.
- Lunch and Love: Pack a lunch for immediate distribution to the homeless.
- Blood Drive: A few minutes of your time can help save a life!
The United Methodist Church of the Rockaways is a family friendly congregation committed to growing together in faith and reaching out with God’s love. The Rockaway community will be part of a global effort as thousands of United Methodist churches participate in Change the World events held during May. For more information, please visit www.umcrockaway.org