Seven families were evacuated as a precautionary measure Sunday morning due to a major gas leak, PSE&G said.
A smell of gas on Lake Road was reported at about 3:45 a.m. PSE&G was called to the scene and discovered a cracked main pipe line, according to PSE&G spokeswoman Bonnie Sheppard.
A PSE&G crew reduced the pressure to the line and clamped it so that a repair could be made, Sheppard said.
The families were allowed to return to their homes approximately seven hours later. Repairs are still ongoing, according to Sheppard.