Here at Morristown Patch, we like to educate whenever and wherever possible. Whether it's through a story about something new, or a bulletin about something old that you might not have been aware of, we pride ourselves in making everyone just a little more informed after reading a post than they were before.
Today's "5 Things" is a good example of that. While you may have heard of some of these types of meetings, have you ever been to one? Do you really know what's going on at them? There's only one way to find out.
- You Need to Know About the Board of Education: Whether you have children in the Morris School District, are concerned with how your money is being spent in the district, or are just interested in general, the Board of Education usually meets every other Monday at 7:30 p.m. at the . The next meeting is on Monday, Jan. 23. Check the Morris School District website for the full schedule.
- You Need to Know About Town Council: This is the one that gets most of the attention. Heck, it's even televised (Channel 24 for you FiOS subscribers out there). It's comprised of seven council members, and is attended by Mayor Tim Dougherty, Business Administrator Michael Rogers, a host of professionals, and hopefully you. It usually meets every two weeks. The next scheduled meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 24 at .
- You Need to Know About the Environmental Commission: Fancy yourself interested in "the protection, development or use of natural resources, including water resources, located within the territorial limits" of Morristown? Then, the Environmental Commission may be the place for you. Contact for specific meetings times during the month.
- You Need to Know About the Planning Board: Straight from the Town of Morristown website, the purview of the Planning Board includes "applications to the Planning Board for new developement projects, redevelopment projects, major or minor site plans, major or minor subdivisions, which may or may not include dimensional variances, facade, alterations to residential or commercial buildings, which include change in facade materials, lighting or signage." There are nine members on the Planning Board in Morristown, as well as two "alternates." It meets the fourth Thursday of most months, including at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 26, at . Check the accompanying PDF for this month's agenda.
- You Need to Know About the Zoning Board of Adjustment: And now, back to the Town of Morristown website: "Zoning involves the 'use' of a property in a specific manner. Questions regarding using property in a manner that is not permitted in that zone or putting additions to a building or property when that is prohibited are directed to the Zoning Board of Adjustment." Does that have you interested in attending a meeting? What luck: there's a Zoning Board meeting at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 18, at . Check the accompanying PDF for the complete agenda. Also, be sure to visit the Town of Morristown website for even more boards and commissions you might want to look into.