This is a big one.
The Town Council, as the redevelopment entity in Morristown, is expected to vote on the Final Amended Speedwell Redevelopment Agreement . Here are few items to keep in mind before you head in:
- You Need to Know About Time: As in, how much of it has been needed to get to this point. It has been over a decade since the idea of redevelopment on Speedwell Avenue was first brought up.
- You Need to Know About Time 2, Electric Boogaloo: As Business Administrator Michael Rogers , once approved, actual work could begin as early as summer. Of course, "could" can be very open to interpretation.
- You Need to Know About Time 3, the Final Chapter: Make sure you get to at 7 p.m., not 7:30 p.m. (the usual time for Town Council meetings). While it will be the Town Council on the dais, here they will act as the redevelopment entity. Different function, different time. Be on time.
- You Need to Know About Affordable Housing Requirements: They have shifted several times during this proposal's lifetime. From 20 percent of housing stock, all the way down to 5, to 10 and currently at 12.5 percent. Former councilman Jim Smith, and current councilwoman Raline Smith-Reid have both previously contended with any requirements below 20, that was just not financially possible in today's economic climate.
- You Need to Know About 236 Pages: If you really want to be prepared, dive into