Here's a quick look at student holidays for families looking to prepare early for vacations:
- Monday, Wednesday, Nov. 4, 6—Students have 4-hour 20-minute school days
- Tuesday, Nov. 5—Students Off
- Thursday, Friday, Nov. 7-8—School's closed
- Wednesday, Nov. 27—Students have a 4-hour 20-minute school day
- Thursday, Friday, Nov. 28-29—School's closed
- Friday, Dec. 20—Students have a 4-hour 20-minute school day
- Monday - Thursday, Dec. 23 - Jan. 2—School's closed
- Monday, Jan. 20—School's closed
- Friday, Feb. 14—Students have a 4-hour 20-minute school day
- Monday, Tuesday, Feb. 17-18—School's closed
- Wednesday, Thursday, Feb. 26-27—Students have 4-hour 20-minute school days
- Wednesday, Thursday, April 2-3—Students have 4-hour 20-minute school days
- Monday-Monday, April 14-21—School's closed
- Monday, May 26—School's closed
- Monday - Wednesday, June 23-25—Students have 4-hour 20-minute school days
- Tuesday, June 24—Frelinghuysen MS Graduation
- Wednesday, June 25—Morristown HS Graduation
There are 185 student days and 189 staff days with five emergency days built in. Hurricane Sandy closed school last year and Morristown Office of Emergency Management said that "the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/ NOAA predicts active 2013 hurricane season." Morristown OEM is also asking residents to "prepare for the upcoming hurricane season, which officially starts this Saturday, June 1 and lasts until November 30."
"If for any reason more days are used, any school holiday or recess remaining on the calendar may, at the discretion of the Board, be rescheduled as a school day or additional days may be scheduled at the end of the school year," according to the school calendar. "This advice is offered to parents, students and all district employees in advance of any arrangements any individuals may elect to make at their own risk to schedule personal or family activities on holiday or recess days that may be converted to school days as required."
Also, any snow days that are not used will be deducted from the end of the school year and state testing schedules may force changes to this calendar.