First Lady Names Morristown Soup Kitchen…
Market Street Mission
Drag box to select area
The Market Street Mission is a Gospel Rescue Mission that first opened in 1889. Founder Louisa Graves Owen had been holding women's Bible study classes in her home. After realizing many husbands of the wives in her classes had alchohol abuse problems, Owen and her husband, Rev. Dr. F.W. Owen, rented 9 Market Street to set up a residential program for alcoholic husbands. The South Street Presbyterian Church supported the organization of the Mission in an effort to reach people who were not regularly attending area churches. <br /><br />During the 1970s, the Mission became home to the Morris County Social Detoxification Center for men and women, and also hosted a coffeehouse called One Way Coffee House, where young people could come for food, coffee and informal counseling on Friday and Saturday nights. Over the years, the men have gotten younger: The average age of a resident in 1965 was 55, down to 45 in 1975; today, that number resides in the late 20s or early 30s. <br /><br />Today men work in the thrift store and warehouse as a part of their therapy; they also attend chapel and classes. But while in the 1970s the Mission continued to offer almost the same program as that of the 1880s, the 1980s and 1990s saw the incorporation of new alcohol- and drug-treatment methods.
9 Market St, Morristown, NJ 07960
- Fax: 973-993-2877
- Hours: Various meetings are held throughout the week. Call or visit the website for details.