Thursday, January 3, 2013
While it could not be confirmed in Wednesday night incident, township fire chief cited dryer lint build-up as No. 1 cause of dryer-related fires.
The Morris Township Fire Department responded to a Spring Brook Road heavy smoke incident Wednesday night, where a fire began in the dryer in the basement. Fire crews arrived at approximately 9:30 p.m. with the last leaving shortly before 11 p.m. No one was reported injured. Damage occurred primarily in the basement due to smoke, but additional damage was reported in the first and second floor areas, said Morris Township Fire Chief Scott Lovenberg. "A primary search was conducted and found a fire within the dryer in the basement," he said. "The fire was quickly extinguished by the fire department." While Lovenberg could not confirm whether the fire had started because of dryer lint—everything was burned up, including the clothes in the …
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Heat and lack of rain take their toll.
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Heat and a lack of rain have made Morris, Sussex and Somerset counties highly susceptible to forest fires, according to the state Department of Environmental Protection. The state has seen almost twice as many (873) fires in since Jan. 1 than in all of 2011 (465), the state Forest Fire Service said. The state has placed the area at Stage No. 1 in fire restriction rating system, which means most outdoor fires are prohibited, unless it's in a properly constructed ring. "All fine dead fuels ignite readily and fires start easily from most causes," the Forest Fire Service said on its website. "Unattended brush and campfires are likely to escape. Fires spread rapidly and short-distance spotting is common. High-intensity burning may develop on …
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Four-unit dwelling deemed uninhabitable, according to Fire Chief.
Discarded cigarettes have been determined to have caused a fire to break out on the second floor of a four-unit house on Sussex Avenue Wednesday afternoon. The fire, which began at about 2:30 p.m., began in the rear of 30 Sussex Ave., according to Morristown Acting Fire Chief Robert Flanagan. It was under control within 30 minutes and completely extinguished by 3:40 p.m., he said. Only three residents of the property, an old house converted into multiple apartments, were at home at the time of the fire and were evacuated, he said. One firefighter at the scene was treated at Morristown Medical Center for heat exhaustion and was later reported to be in good condition, Flanagan said. While the fire affected two second-floor units, the entire …
Friday, May 18, 2012
Students dismissed at noon, according to officials.
Students at Morristown High School were given the opportunity to take in the nice weather from their football field as a transformer "phase out" spurred an evacuation of students on Friday. According to officials, the "phase out" caused smoke to enter the building and students were evacuated as a precaution. Morristown Fire Chief Robert Flanagan said that the transformer was outside, but there was smoke seen in the building. One witness said a janitor pulled the fire alarm when he saw smoke inside. Fire Departments from Morristown, Morris Township, Morris Plains and Cedar Knolls, as well as Morristown Police and Morristown EMS responded to the scene and were conducting a thorough sweep of the building. Mary Donohoe, spokesperson for the …